So I celebrated my birthday last week and it dawned on me how just how old I’ve become. I don’t feel old, and by many standards I’m still young, but I guess that’s how it goes as an adult. Thanks to everyone who sent birthday wishes my way. Now on to the upcoming adventure: Cambodia!
Yes, I’m going back to Cambodia, for 6 weeks this time, to participate in a Junior Fellowship through the Centre for Khmer Studies in Siem Reap. I get to study Khmer and perform research on disability rights in Cambodia and Southeast Asia more generally. It should be an incredible experience. Unfortunately, Martina has to stay state-side and work at her internship. I’m really going to miss her, but her support is one of the reasons I’m going.
I won’t make any promises about daily or weekly posts, but I’m going to try to post often and keep you all up-to-date on my research and the excursions I go on. Stay tuned for Cambodia Adventure: Part 2!!!
Goals while I’m in Cambodia:
- Produce a research paper worth publishing
- Improve my Khmer speaking, comprehension, reading, and writing (I need to think of a method to measure this)
- Make new connections with professionals and students interested in Cambodia and Southeast Asia
- Volunteer at least 3-5 hours a week
- Increase my knowledge of contemporary issues in Cambodia and Southeast Asia
- Go running 3-4 times a week